"Just for today, do not worry"
What Is Reiki?
"A practice that relieves not only the external, physical sufferings, but the internal sufferings and obscuration of humankind” Dr Usui"
- A system of healing using spiritually guided life force energy.
- Passed on by an attunement from a Reiki master.
- A Philosophy and system for personal development.
- Can help develop intuitive sensitivity and spiritual awareness
- A Powerful healing system that can be applied through touch or intent
- An honoring of the teachings given by Dr Mikao Usui (1865-1926)
The Term Reiki is a Japanese word used to describe a system of healing originally known as Usui Shiki Ryoho, or The Usui Way, so titled by its founder Dr Mikao Usui. Though it is difficult to verify the exact events surrounding his life it appears the system was developed by Dr Usui as a result of a keen personal interest he had in Kanji characters, symbology and mantras contained within ancient Sanskrit texts. Also his deeply felt connection to Spirit led him to research the relationship between the nature of healing miracles and the wisdom of the Sanskrit teachings. In following this personal calling to understand the nature of energy healing Dr Usui was led to devote his life to the research of what we now know as Reiki.
Where did it come from?
- The Vedas The Vedic Religion developed the Vedas in 1200 BC. The Vedas were said to have been ‘heard’ or channeled by mediums and seers. They formed the Siddham script.
- Shamanism In Shamanism it was the shamans task to bring spiritual energy into this world for ritual and harmonize the energy between spiritual and material worlds
- Esoteric Budhism The wisdom of the Vedas was brought to Japan through the spread of Esoteric Buddhism and Shamanism.
- Mikkyo Budhism in particular adopted these teachings and used magic tantric formulas in Japan as meditative focii for healing the suffering of the body and mind
- Dr Usui a Mikkyo Budhist, Received an awakening whilst in retreat on Mt Kurama. Through his research into Kanji characters, he developed his system of healing called Reiki which incorporated key symbolism from the original Siddham scripts
- Western Lineage Reiki spread from Japan to Hawaii shortly before the 2nd World War and then to America in the 70’s and finally to Europe.
- Merging of Eastern & Western Reiki In the last 10 years we have rediscovered many of the early teachings of Dr Usui still practiced in Japan and Reiki is in another exciting period of transformation.
The traditional story we are told is that he became awakened whilst in solitude retreat on Mount Kuri Yama and understood a unique way to attune people to Universal Ki, the basis of all energy healing through the use of these symbols and mantras, placed into Key Chakras within a persons body in a particular sequence, he could facilitate the opening of a healing channel that would expand through use. Dr Usui developed this practice throughout his life and the Reiki system we know today comes to us unchanged in essence since its humble beginnings at the end of the nineteenth Century.
Reiki has grown to be very popular throughout the world and this is due in part to its simplicity. Reiki is taught as an oral tradition, the basis of which is the transmission of energy from teacher to student known as initiation. The emphasis when learning Reiki is placed on experiencing the energy for oneself. Once a person realises the presence of a universal energy field and their own ability to channel this energy for healing the experience is anchored in them and is not just a belief instilled in them but a deep knowing that stays for life.
People today have a greater awareness of alternative means of health care and this includes how they perceive illness and disease. As awareness grows it is understandable that people will gravitate towards preventative medicine that advocates a way of life rather than waiting for something to go wrong. It is symptomatic that people will move further and further away from situations that bring them into contact with health advice that makes them feel dis-empowered.
Reiki has been known to bring relief to a range of physical symptoms when other more conventional methods have failed and because Reiki works on the many levels of a person the healing can be accompanied by insights as to why the symptoms were created in the first place. It is important to recognise the role of Reiki and other complementary healing practices that could play a more active role in our modern health care systems and could work side by side with them without threatening what already exists.
To best understand the name Reiki we can split it into two parts Rei & Ki.
The first syllable Rei is Japanese for God, Creator or Spirit.
The second syllable Ki is Japanese for Energy or Power.
Rei - Is the term used to describe the creative mind and the creative expression of God, ‘all that is’ in manifest and unmanifest. The awesomeness of being conscious in a human body and being able to look at space and marvel at the fact you are looking at the past right back to your origin’s, ‘The big bang’. It’s all ‘Rei’ everything that you see, smell, taste, touch, feel and hear. It’s creation and you know within your heart that you are part of it, that goes some way to defining Rei.
Ki - Life Force Energy; is the vital energy that fuels creation. The motion of the Universe is powered by Ki. It is the force that animates everything from a field mouse to an exploding star. It is also known in other traditions as; Prana or Chi. It flows through nadis or channels in our electromagnetic bodies supplying us literally with our life force energy. Using Kirlian photography it is possible to record Ki on film. Interestingly no matter what you photograph, if it’s alive there will always be an electromagnetic energy field around it.
Defining The Essence Of Reiki
Reiki in essence is Love. Whenever I have practised giving Reiki there is a powerful flow of energy into my body, the concentration of which fills my heart with tremendous warmth. This energy is so tangible that at times it feels like I am literally painting or sculpting with loving light. The analogy of a ‘living ocean of energy’ is the most accurate definition of the essence of Reiki I have found. What’s more this ocean of energy is an intelligent force. It knows where it is needed the most. Reiki is something anyone can learn to do as we are all intimately connected to the Universe.
Reiki is a useful tool for self awareness and personal transformation and often provides the support to release many unwanted issues from the past. Reiki is a non invasive therapy, there is no need to undress the patient, Reiki works just as effectively through clothes, blankets and in the case of accidents through plaster casts. Reiki can be used in conjunction with many other therapies. Reiki is not affiliated with any religious dogma or practice enabling people from any religious background to learn it. Reiki is not based on belief, faith or suggestion rather the direct experience of those that practice it.
Reiki is a healing system that can:
- Be used as a daily meditative & healing practice
- Heal the physical body
- Release trapped emotion from the body
- Balance the Chakra system
- Calm the mind and reduce stress
- Reverse negative habits
- Reclaim scattered energy from the past
- Be sent across time and space
- Be infused into objects
- Clear spaces
- Support & Protect you